Want to know the best way to prepare for a vestibular physiotherapy assessment? Here are my 5 tips to get you ready and make the most out of your time with your therapist.
1. Track your symptoms: Know what symptoms you feel is helpful for us, but also knowing when they come on, any known triggers, how long it lasts, and what helps to relieve them really helps us narrow down what may be behind your dizziness.
2. Dress the part: We are going to ask you to lie down, stand on foam and walk so dress in comfortable clothes that allows you to perform these movements.
3. Write down your questions: How often do you get into a doctors office and completely forget what you wanted to ask!? I've been there! Write them down and don't be shy saying you need to look at your list. I've also had patients email me questions ahead of time which also works!
4. Bring a friend or have a friend close by: Vestibular appointments can make you DIZZY. So having some additional support to drive you home, or help you around the house afterwards can be really helpful, especially for the first few visits as you get used to your response.
5. Breath: As mentioned, you will get dizzy when working with us, so practice some breathing strategies ahead of time to help reduce any dizziness and anxiety. My favourite breathing animations come from Calm.com which I've linked in my bio over on Instagram for you to use anytime.
I hope this list helps you feel prepared so that you can tackle your symptoms and get some relief! The hardest step is reaching out - it's all up from here!